DEEP UNDERSTANDING OF DEVOPS
“Programmers don’t burn out on hard-work, they burn out on change-with-the-wind directives and not ‘shipping’.” — Mark Berry
WHAT IS DEVOPS ?
It is a combination of software development and IT operations. In short, DevOps is uniting the development and operation process for new applications to improve the quality and efficiency of the new software. This means that this application can actively evolve while operating. DevOps is a relatively new field in IT; however, it has a lot of potential for growth and a lot of possible career paths for one to explore.
DevOps — the amalgamation of development (Dev) and operations (Ops) teams — is an organizational approach which enables faster development of applications and easier maintenance of existing deployments. By enabling organizations to create stronger bonds between Dev, Ops and other stakeholders in the company, DevOps promotes shorter, more controllable iterations through the adoption of best practices, automation and new tools. DevOps is not a technology per se, but it covers everything from the organisation to culture, processes and tooling. Initial steps usually include Continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD), real-time monitoring, incident response systems and collaboration platforms.
Skills required :
1. Strong Communication and Collaboration Skills -
Communication and collaboration are the skills that can make or break DevOps in any organization.
2. Empathy and Patience -
Soft skills are as important to a DevOps professional as hard skills and should not be underestimated. Not only does DevOps require strong hard skills like coding and automation, it also necessitates such soft skills as curiosity,exibility, etc.
3. Understanding of Major DevOps Tools -
There are numerous DevOps tools, and it isnt possible to master them all. The good news is, you don’t have to.
However, knowing your way around the major DevOps tools will be eye catchy for your resume.
4. Software Security Skills
While DevOps helps develop and release software more rapidly, it also creates a bunch of vulnerabilities, since security teams cannot keep up with the faster cycle. Simply put, not only high-quality code but also bugs and malware can be deployed much faster now. Introducing DevOps without having perfected security processes in the IT-organization is a recipe for disaster.
EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND JOBS :
● DevOps Architect: A DevOps architect is the leader of the DevOps team. This individual supervises, analyses and controls the operations. It is their job to keep up with the industry standard for DevOps processes and evolve their own business’s model in relation to it.
● A bachelor’s degree in computer science or an IT related field, along with work experience in cloud operations is always prioritised by employers. A master’s degree can give one’s resume the polish it needs to land on a good job.
● Strong leadership skills, assertive interpersonal communication, experience with operation and development processes, analytical thinking are the traits of a good DevOps architect.
● Software Tester: One of the integral cogs in the DevOps model, the software tester ensures that any updates made to the software are not detrimental to its operation, and that the changes work as intended.
● Many companies look for candidates with bachelor’s degrees in computer science or maths. However, work experience and good references may compensate for the lack of a technical degree.
● Ability to create and execute automated and manual tests, proficiency in computer operating systems, knowledge of common programming languages and development methods, and finally, good communication are skills that are prioritised by employers.
● Security Engineer: A security engineer’s job is to ensure safety throughout the DevOps process using logs and managing software configuration. When the app is about to be released, the security engineer must ensure that the code and data cannot be compromised.
● A bachelor’s degree in software engineering, maths or computer related field is necessary. Work experience in the IT field is also mandated by many companies. The amount of work experience required can be anywhere from 1–5 years.
● Understanding of major operating systems, knowledge of encryption, proficiency in software development and programming languages, understanding of security system infrastructures, problem solving skills etc are traits of a top-level security engineer.
These are just a few of the various career paths to be explored in the field of DevOps. Career in this field demand hard work and various skills, but, it is very rewarding. For someone interested in software development and management, this is the perfect career path to follow. Even though it requires a certain amount of tenacity, diligence pays off in this vast field with scope for growth.
Future scope :
Businesses are starting to adapt the DevOps model, realising the benefits of the increased speed and security of the production process. Companies are on the lookout for skilled DevOps professionals, and the time to start a career in the field would be now. DevOps professionals are among the highest paid in the IT industry. Even entry level employees earn about ₹600K per annum (figures from glassdoor.co.in). However, this figure can vary based on company, qualifications etc.
Stride ahead is a very envisage platform which has a community of best of mentors and psychological experts to provide guidance to students in their respective field.They have a very different and unique approach towards learning which helps in enhancing students skills such as logical reasoning,critical thinking,organisational behaviour,creativity etc which helps to bring out the best in students and discover their full potential.
We at stride ahead are making an effort to give you vast knowledge on different career options and their future opportunities. The team at stride ahead focus on recent topics and relevant tools which are in demand nowadays. We want to aware students and help them take a calculative and correct decision.
We would like to have your views on this and and would also appreciate if you let us know other topics you want us to work on.
● Chickowski, Erica. “5 Ways to Make Yourself Marketable as a DevOps Engineer”, TechBeacon, n.d., https://techbeacon.com/devops/5-ways-make-yourself-marketable-devops-engineer
● “What is DevOps”, Amazon, n.d., https://aws.amazon.com/devops/what-is-devops/
● IBM Cloud Education, “What is DevOps?”, IBM, 2 October 2019, https://www.ibm.com/cloud/learn/devops-a-complete-guide
● Mathur, Arjun. “DevOps Career Path: 6 Demanding & Diverse Roles”, upgrad, 15 December 2019, https://www.upgrad.com/blog/devops-career-path-job-roles/
● Raj, Rishabh. “Work Hard, Play Harder: 8 Careers in the Gaming Industry”, mindler, 15 August 2018, https://www.mindler.com/blog/careers-in-gaming-in-india/
● “Why DevOps is important ?”, Appdynamics
Why DevOps is Important? Benefits & Challenges Explained
DevOps is important because it's a software development and operations approach that enables faster development of new…
JOIN OUR CHANNELS
WRITTEN AND DESIGNED BY- ISHIKA